Tuesday 26 February 2013

Tell All Tuesday ~ Featured Artist: Melissa Angelik

Hello artists happy Tuesday =) I'm a little bit out of sorts at the mo, not sure if it's weather or something else but icky sicky just won't leave me so I'm planning on making myself an enjoyable evening of nothingness...first TAT, then a hot, hot, hot shower, followed immediately by bed clothes (despite the fact that it's not even 9pm lol) and a good novel! TAT included TLC lol hope you're planning your version of luxuriousness once you've finished the enjoying Melissa's lovely work & interview, go on...you deserve it =D

Tell us a little bit about yourself & what kind of artist you are.
I am obsessed with books, and therefore end up making all my art in books. Also, as my lifestyle at the moment is very nomadic, anything else would take up too much room. I like trying out new media, and express whatever I'm feeling in that moment, or whatever I'm thinking through my art. I love mythology, symbolism, music, just so many things! And they all get incorporated into my art.
What is the biggest challenge you personally face as an artist and how do you overcome it?
I think self-doubt and self-destruction are my two greatest obstacles to my art.
What do you love most / least enjoy about your art?
What I love most about my art is that I can do whatever I want. This is a huge reason why I became an art school dropout - I hated having to do art based on someone else's ideals of "right" and "wrong", "good" or "bad".
What is your heart’s greatest desire for your life as an artist?
I'm not sure what I desire most as an artist, I think if I could actually build a following and have people collect prints and interesting branded items, that would be really cool. I just hope people are inspired by what I do.
Tell us where can we find out more about you & your art?
My tumblr and newly started deviant art blogs would be the best places to look: http://melissa-angelik.tumblr.com/ and http://melissa-angelik.deviantart.com/

Thanks so much for sharing Melissa, I have to say I am so happy you are an art school dropout because that is one of the discussions we often have on TAT; worries by some of us that we are not 'good enough' artists because we were never trained, but what you say is so true. Art by nature is the most subjective thing, so whichever way you look at it (haha) it is impossible to do work to please others; there is just too many people and too many different opinions on what constitutes good art. Therefore all we can really do is work to please ourselves, and why would we need to be trained for that, when what we will be shown is how not to do it our way? Hmm so pleased you took part in TAT Melissa and helped me see this perspective =D

“Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” 
Andy Warhol

Would you like to be featured on Tell All Tuesday??
Email me or click the link to find all the details here =)
Much love
Jennibellie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...